Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Parenting Advice: First Step Toward Doom?

I consider myself not superstitious. I don't knock on wood, I avoid horoscopes, and think pretty much anyone consulting a stargazer is going to hell in a handbasket. :)

But one thing that has challenged me as an older, "been down the road" type of woman is the subject of advice giving. I am all for authors and speakers and mentors to share their wisdom with those who are further behind in the journey! In fact, I do think that is biblical and wise and practical....three of my favorite things. But when I presume to give advice I shudder at crossing the line between humility and pride....where angels fear to tread, if you glance through the Bible at what God thinks of proud people! He opposes them! He lowers them! Two things that strike fear into my heart.

Well, a few people have commented to me before that they think I should write a book on parenting. :) Somehow I feel like the minute I pen a paragraph on parenting, my children will up and rebel as a way for God to keep my ego in check. It has never been worth that kind of gamble for me - I've been happy to just continue the course I'm on, and enjoy the results.....but....then someone else will ask for parenting wisdom and I think - if I share some and maintain humility, then it's the best of both worlds, right? I am in God's Will both in attitude and in practice.The challenge is to offer advice and maintain a humble spirit so that God doesn't have to take out the pruning shears.

So gulp - here goes the first of a few posts on parenting. Consider it free material - feel free to debate me on it if you disagree - or feel free to ignore it. My disclaimer at the outset is that I am confident the Lord has co-parented with me and has filled my gaps....in no way do I claim to have reached the finish line in parenting yet! But with God's help I have enjoyed each stage of my children's lives (with the exception of a challenging first year with Abby) and they continue to bless Jon and I, as well as those around them. (for those who don't know them personally, Abby is 17, Katie is 15.5 and Ben is 13.5). This continual blessing is what I desire others to have in their home, as we have.

Most of the people who ask me for parenting tips are those with babies and toddlers and school-aged kids, so that's where I'll start.

Stay tuned.

No comments: