Sunday, September 7, 2008

Embarrassment of Riches

So I finished "Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. Thought I'd throw in a little book report since it's such a hot topic book...

Basically it boils down to this man's gathering of stories of how to live as Jesus would live in this world. Claiborne is an "ordinary radical" much as Jesus was.

When the book was recommended to me by two people twice in one week, I was intrigued. The first person verbally "threw the book at me" as a challenge to my lifestyle and beliefs; the second inspired me to read it with his own personal excitement for what the book provoked in him. Anyhow, because the first recommendation came with that challenge, I had some defenses to break down before I could hear Claiborne's heart. Pride was my chief stumbling block.

I appreciated Claiborne's take on the Church (we need to do more) and community (we need to connect way more than we're already doing). I value his call to Voluntary Poverty and believe he's doing that successfully! Because of reading this book, I look at things like my pantry (which is stuffed to the point of needing micro-organizing to fit it all in) and my checkbook (which sadly, if a stranger looked through it, they wouldn't infer that I care much about the poor). Because I am an application-type-learner, I'd like to move forward and be a better steward of my resources, and be more hands (and cash) on with my concern for the poor.

Writing that makes me sound quite mechanical, and most readers of "Irresistible Revolution" would cringe at such a response. I'm sure their hearts break over Claiborne's stories, and to a degree mine did as well....yet....experiences and common sense meld with emotions in me.

Experiences like visiting North Philadelphia and seeing Campolo's work over a long weekend...seeing both the joys of reward (we got to go on a 4th of July outing with his inner city kids, which was such fun! also witnessing the bonds and relationships within the community) and the realities of the situation (families working the welfare system pretty strategically, Christian or nonChristian). Deduction: Campolo's ministry is imperfect - it has a terrific heart (helping the needy, choosing poverty, etc) and yet it didn't have all the answers for these people. Granted, little is better than nothing...more importantly - these workers are being obedient to God's call on their life, so I trust the fruit is rich and abundant.

I mostly take issue with Claiborne's judgement on Christians. He's a little heavy with his criticism of Christians in suburbia - with their self-centered lifestyles and their samplings of behavior that "makes them feel better" - like donating money to a cause, or going on short-term missions. He gave me a feel that he snubs even third party charities like World Vision - where a donor can write a check but not interact personally with the receiver - that donating to such is ineffective or wrong. My thought is that God has called Claiborne to a certain lifestyle - playing in fire hydrants with inner city children, sleeping in the streets with the homeless, packing up and going to India or Iraq to hug the ill or wounded.....and he is being obedient to that call, which is awesome. However, to cast judgement on Christians who are not following that exact pattern is spiritually presumptuous.

I believe God has called Christians into all walks of life, and we are to be obedient to Him wherever we are - we are to serve those around us, be examples and sources of love and grace, and to use our gifts and talents for His Kingdom. For one, that might be Iraq. For another, it could be Wall Street. There are certain challenges of being Salt and Light in either location - one could slip into self-righteousness ('oh, look how i suffer so! i must be a great Christian') or into self-dependence ('oh, look at my paycheck - i am so talented and successful!')...but the point is that it is the Lord who will direct a man's steps and inspire/strengthen/equip him for every good work which was determined before the earth's foundation was laid. I'm not sure all of us are called to play in fire hydrants 24/7. In fact, I think God has sprinkled His people throughout the world for a purpose - some are working Wall Street to underwrite someone else's ministry in the fire hydrant....knowwhatimean?

I see now where many readers of "Irresistible Revolution" have gotten their reverse discrimination worldview. What Claiborne might've intended was to inspire the Church to action - to sacrifice and to Christlikeness....but what has resulted instead is a skewed perspective on other Christians, I believe. The focus has changed from Grace and the contents of a man's heart - to one of works and self-righteousness. (IF you have slept on the streets with the homeless, THEN you are a real Christian. IF you live in poverty, THEN you are wise and I'll listen to you. IF you live in a ghetto, THEN you are Christlike. And the converse? IF you afford braces for your child's teeth, THEN you have an ungodly take on finances. IF you have only done short-term missions, THEN you shouldn't voice opinions on global matters, etc....retch)

To me it seems like such a slippery slope. We desire to have Christ's heart and mind, yet how quickly do we take works to analyze/judge ourselves and others? And once we've categorized other Christians, we reversely discriminate - only choosing to care for, love, listen to, involve with - those who are disenfranchised or who have the same level of (self) righteousness that we perceive ourselves to have. I think the bigger challenge than hugging children in Iraq or playing in fire hydrants is to daily/hourly/minutely humble ourselves, to love others, and to listen for God's promptings on how we spend our money, time, energy, gifts, etc....and then to obey those promptings. If the Body of Christ operated like that, not only would we be a "well-oiled machine" but also a phenomenal witness. The more time we spend nitpicking each other and trying to find modern day Pharisees, the more we are enslaved by the enemy who would like to see nothing more than for us to be ineffective!

Grace = need more.

2 comments:

EuroMom said...

I haven't read the book so probably shouldn't comment but I don't think the Lord calls us all to a life of poverty. I think of people I know, with deep pockets, that give abundantly to missionaries. Praise God for those folks...just a very random thought!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally, makes me want to read the book.. I will need to get it sometime soon. But it seems like this guy is forgetting that the teenager who lives in the OC and has EVERYTHING needs Jesus just as much as the vietnam vet living on the streets of philly as much as the child solider killing off his own in Africa so he can survive.... and each of those people need a different type of person to show them Jesus... like you said God puts us where he needs us and gives us different circumstances to use for HIS glory.... I agree we Americans (and even alot of Christian Americans) are way to self-focused and need to be moved from our apathy.. but things like donating money and going on short term mission trips is where it begins... and can be the catalyst for some to get involved more than that....