Saturday, December 20, 2008

God's Storehouse

The 38th Chapter of Job is one of my favorite passages of the Bible.

In it, God is talking to Job and sorta straight-shooting with him about His power. (Job had been in a period of testing and despair - God was setting him straight about Who was in charge, not only over Job but also lightning, snow, the ocean, lions, etc) Anyhow, the whole chapter both thrills me and comforts me.

It thrills me to know that when the weatherman predicts "abominable, drastic, deadly" weather (like he has today with this upcoming winter storm), I actually know the One in charge of all of it. It thrills me to know the Lord has such POWER and can use nature to humble man and cry out to Him. This power can also be contained and can be used to delight and inspire a soul - He can drift little icy filigrees just as easily as He can swamp a city. It thrills me to know the Lord has this power and yet can be exceedingly gentle with me as well - like a mother is with her child, He says. He can choose a mighty thunderclap to get my attention, or a tender pastel sunrise. It thrills me to know He's got storehouses of snow, and can hurl lightning bolts and can limit where waves can crash....man! What a God!

So, tonight as I am home from a freakish blizzard walk...I am at peace. I'm thinking that God's storehouses aren't "snow only" - I think He's got other storehouses full of gifts as well. Peace among them....also joy....wisdom...patience.....faith. These gifts also awe and draw glory to Him, much as the snowfall and storms. And like weather, these gifts can either be rained down gently, or flurry about us in the dark, be hailed upon us mightily, or swirlingly waft around us, ethereal as fog.

This Christmas, I'm looking to Heaven for my gifts, as the region looks to the heavens for signs of weather. Topping my list is wisdom, followed by joy and peace. Praise to the Lord, abundant in all these things - mighty ruler of all - sovereign owner of the gifts - gentle lover of my soul.
"Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
or seen the storehouses of the hail?" Job 38:22

Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows
.
James 1:17

No comments: