Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

6:30 am Thanksgiving morning and the house is still asleep. Time to reflect before the chopping, baking, dish washing and hosting.

  • Thankful for my husband. He is such a hard worker, and keeps our home in working order plus food on the table. It is an honor to be his helpmeet - it helps that he is so smart and wise (can't say that for everyone!) and funny and has those cute sparkly eyes. He's a great dad and a man of great integrity...I didn't know when I married him how critical that is!
  • Thankful for my kids. They are increasingly enjoyable - they make me proud and they make me laugh. I am proud of their character (honest, diligent, creative, trustworthy) and their accomplishments. They are nice to be around (which is a good thing to say no matter what age you are).
  • Thankful for the extended family. Everyone is healthy, and every one is a blessing in their own way. Jon and I are so fortunate to come from families that place their priorities honorably - it's provided such a strong foundation. They are a constant encouragement to us!
  • Thankful for our church. Our friendships and ministry opportunities have enriched our marriage, family, and personal lives so much. Not simply encouragement for the journey, but challenge and fellowship as well. Thankful for the ministry we receive from being in ministry!
  • Thankful for our jobs. We completely realize Jon's job is Providential, and are at the Lord's mercy for the continuation of his employment after February. My job as homemaker and homeschooler are also Providential - if Jon's job goes, my job goes! Humbly we ask for that cup to pass, and humbly we look at how I can help, should it not. We are also thankful for the kids' jobs - that is, of being full time students. Education is a privilege and both homeschooling and Running Start have been tremendous blessings to us!
  • Thankful for our health. Again, mercy. Again, humble and complete gratefulness. Thankful for not only our immediate family's health, but also the grandparents...how blessed we are to have them involved and active and able to "endure" many visits with us!
  • Thankful for our country. This could be a post all on its own. But this year - thankful to know a hero like John McCain and receive inspiration from him...thankful for articulate, bright and capable women like Sarah Palin...and thankful for the chance to exercise my hope muscle that the "change" Obama promises will help get our country out of this economic pit.
Well, Ben's awake now and I hear other Turkey Bowlers rustling around upstairs....so I will sign off.

This time next year - Abby home from college for the weekend! God willing - we'll all be together counting our blessings and adding to them - in Him we trust.

I will praise God's name in song and glorify Him with thanksgiving.
Psalm 69:30

No comments: